Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Request To The Blog Community-PLEASE READ

Hi all. Yes, I know...I have been slack at posting but something has come up that I feel I must address:

PLEASE STOP DELETING YOUR BLOGS!

It seems like everyday now I visit another blog only to find it on the verge of being deleted or sometimes they are just gone.

As someone who has archived everything I can from the early days I can say I'm not the only person who felt like preserving our gaming heritage in those fragile, acid based paper fanzines or amateur publications. Axe & Hammer is another valuable resource for Gygax and Greyhawk material (do not feel left out if I don't mention every site-I just helped them to recover the blog after a complete wipe by unknown forces recently so it is fresh in my mind).

But I feel we face an even greater loss in the modern age when someone deletes their blog and it vanishes forever. Now, I understand if somehow you are paying out of pocket for the space or domain or any other cost. Times are bad and every penny counts.

But when I see the word 'blogspot' I know generally you are paying roughly the same amount to host your blog as myself...$0.

I know we don't always have time to post a comment or even follow every blog, but believe me when I say how important your work and the time you have invested into your blog is to myself and countless others.

I would implore those who about to close up shop just leave the blog 'as is' with a final post if you like about not continuing to update it. I will even start a new blog just to catalog those that have concluded so that others may research the work and benefit like I have from the knowledge and the, dare I say it, love we have for such an arcane past time. In a day and age when a new video game console comes out and replaces its predecessor every few years and computer game fans are realizing how much is being lost in their culture we have the ability to maintain ours by simply doing nothing at all.

I understand if for some reason you feel like you have to take it down, but if there is no other reason than just moving on please leave the blog so that others may still enjoy the benefits of your knowledge.

What good is the "Links of Wisdom' wiki if all the content is gone?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you know someone who is about to delete their blog I would appreciate you directing them to this post.